Dili, April 02, 2019 – The General Directorate of Statistics Timor-Leste under portfolio of Ministry of Finance and together President of Camara Comercio Industry, Vice Governor of Timor-Leste Central Bank, representatives of donors, Directors General, National Directors, NGOs of Luta Hamutuk, Lao Hamutuk, Civil Societies and media has an officially launching three reports on Timor-Leste National Accounts 2017, Business Activity Survey 2017 and Trade 2017 to the public at the GDS Meeting Room Caicoli Street Dili.
This is an honor for me to be here, with all of you, we are gathering in this moment to conducting a launching three reports such as: Timor-Leste National Accounts 2017, Business Activity Survey and Data on Trade 2017”.
The realization of this reports launching is due to the cooperation work between Directorate General of Statistics-Ministry of Finance and all entities that been contributing on the essential of data for the mentioned reports.
Therefore, in this occasion, I’m on behalf representing government to extending thanks for every staff at General Directorate of Statistics that was directly contributing to these services, and also particular thanks also goes to Director General Mr. Elias dos Santos Ferreira that been in successful in leading his team in a way of compiling and analyzing the referring data.
I wish to convey my sincere thanks to businesses companies, and also especial thanks to president of Camra Comercio e Industria at the national level and municipalities level, in which had been kinds supports to Business Activity Survey 2017. Thanks to all services results that you have done and today we finally launched those three reports.
1. Statistics in which containing under Timor-Leste National Accounts for the year of 2000 – 2017 (TL-NA 2000-2017) is joining representing approach and consist of macroeconomic account for information, analyses and research, and also has an objective for elaboration of policy and also purpose of making a decision.
Timor-Leste National Accounts 2000-2017 were compiles based on United Nations System of National Account 2008 (SNA 2008).
This publication has a several sets that was integrated in Accounts, including also Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in which are compiling using three approaches such as; Production, Expenditure and Income. The estimation of GDP is cover all sectors, including oil sector and it’s also really focused to non-oil sector, therefore GDP sector non-oil for the 2017 declining to (-3.5 %) compared with 2016 was positive 5.1%.
2. A report of Business Activity Survey 2017 as an important key for National Accounts. An adjustment for Business Activity Survey conducted in order to including estimation for informal sector in Timor-Leste. The outcomes of this report also as one of the vital information source for development and monitoring for economic politics, and also help government to define its politics that was relating business performances of this country. On the other hand, the report also shows to us that between 2016 and 2017, the industry value added falls to 9.5 % in Timor-Leste. Dili municipality continues provide work around 79% for everybody that work number 84% is contributing to industry value added.
3. Trade report for 2017 shows to us the data on relation to international commerce for Timor-Leste in 2017. All the data was collected from Customs Authority under Director General of Customs in which has a role on Export and import. Well, from this report we can know better Timor-Leste is importing all goods and an origin or from which country those goods come? And also we can know better the export from Timor-Leste to other countries, what kinds of products? And to which country this product goes to.
Timor-Leste mostly export coffee, candlenuts and scrap metal.
If we want to look back to commerce data on 2017 compared to 2016 among of import and export shown to us all that:
1. Export 2016 with its valued of 25.3 million and in 2017 was about 16.9 million.
2. Import 2016 with its valued of 508.1 million and in 2017 was about 555.2 million.
The report shows to all of us that imports continue increase rather than export in Timor-Leste.
Lastly, I expect that in this year GDS team from Ministry of Finance will continue to conducting Business Activity Survey for 2018, therefore still need your collaboration in future implementation survey.
In The same occasion Director General of Statistics Timor-Leste, Mr. Elias dos Santos Ferreira has also stated to the Audience at the meeting hall that, here we are talking about the production side: agriculture production. The General Directorate of Statistics and Ministry of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries will soon implementing the Agriculture Census 2019 in which will be took place on [June and July] with the Food Agriculture Support (FAO). Mr. Ferreira further said that please all media help government to spread the census info to all population so that they will well aware on the upcoming of Agriculture Census.